Floating Paper Clip
Question: Can you make a paper clip appear to float in mid air?
Hypothesis: Yes we can make a paper clip appear to
float in mid air using magnetic force to make it float.
Detail steps so anyone can reproduce this at school or home
1. Tape the magnet to the outside bottom of the container. Then set aside.
2. Cut a string 8” in length.
3. Tie the paperclip to one end of the string.
4. Place the other end of the string through the hole in the container lid and tie a knot.
5. Place the paperclip into the container and close the lid
6. Pull the string so the paperclip is ½ inch above the bottom of the container.
7. Slowly turn over the container and the paperclip will float in mid air.
We accept our hypothesis because we thought that if we put the
paper clip in the jar it appear to float in mid air and it did.
The Science behind it
The paperclip is made of metal and is attracted to the magnet.
The string is preventing the paper clip from being pulled flat to the magnet making it appear to float in air.
I enjoy school and my favorite subjects are math and science. I have a magnetic personality. I like playing sports especially soccer and baseball. I have 2 younger sisters who bother me all the time and who I try to repel.
"Universally" speaking I gravitate towards sports. On the weekends you can find me drawn in to a football game. I have a younger sister and we are polar opposites.